Skip to main content

On Writing From the Heart

On the weekend, my old friend, K., who knows I like writing fiction, emailed me and asked for some writing advice. It was for work, she said, but not the usual dry, corporate stuff. This needed to be written from the heart.



Ooooh, I thought, I’m so glad you asked! I rubbed my hands with glee, climbed onto my pedestal and cleared my throat self-importantly as I shuffled my collection of papers on this very subject.

No I didn’t.

Truthfully, I was stumped at first. The writing from the heart bit was easy to think through, in that I tend to do all my fiction-writing this way. But this was writing from the heart – for a work context! Dry-corporate-language-imagination-need-not-apply work!

I had to think about writing from the heart, but in a non-context-specific way.

This is what I came up with:

With writing from the heart, maybe start by jotting down ideas in a stream of consciousness way. Don't worry about grammar or punctuation or sentence structure or even logic. Write to catch the ideas and feelings about what you want to say. Go wild with metaphors, images, ideas. Deliberately push at the boundaries of physics/sciencey logic if it helps capture your feelings (eg, walking on moonbeams) - and don't judge any of your ideas or how you've articulated them. Dot points, sentence fragments and half-drawn stick figures are all ok.

Give yourself a time limit of around 10 minutes. This makes you try and capture ideas and feelings/ideas quickly (rather than trying to polish in your head and losing the impetus of the idea). A time limit also gives yourself an escape pod (so your inner critic doesn't pop up its nasty little head and start sucking away your confidence before you've even got your ideas out). If you find yourself on a roll though, keep going.

Don't re-read it to be critical (either of the ideas, or the language you've used, or how you've written them down). I often mentally give myself a picture of my inner critic bound and gagged to a chair to remind myself to not be critical of my ideas/images/brainstorming.

When you move to structure and organising ideas, do it in a separate doc/draft. So the ideas page stays as an ideas page. Think of it as the page/portal where your heart and mind are plugged into the cosmos and you're channelling the same kind of energy from which stars are born.

K. replied promptly, gave unnecessary thanks and said she loved the idea of a “time-bound, discrete, non-judgemental space for ideas and inspirations”. This made me laugh for a long time. Because she pretty much nailed in four words what it took me 268 words to say!!

It would never have occurred to me – not in a thousand lifetimes – to put it in those 4 words either. And yet it's concise, succinct and says pretty much the same thing. I laughed and felt slightly mortified at my irrepressible, wordy waffleyness.

Then, after a rather long while, I realised something. Both versions describe the same process, but they actually describe different aspects of the same process. The 4-word version tells you what you can do to write from the heart. The 268-word version describes how you can do it.

Aha.

Both versions have a place, and they actually complement each other.

I wasn’t being waffley after all.

Now. All I have to do is remember the bits about being non-judgemental and practise it a bit more on myself.

And so should you. About your own writing, I mean. Not that I'm judging.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Sun and the Moon

The following little story came to me while driving home one night on a dark road lit up in silver by a half-moon.  I suddenly had a fanciful little image of a car smilingly gobbling up a crescent-shaped sliver of moon-flake which helped its headlights shine brighter.  Such an image wouldn't normally find a home outside my head, but

Getting the Right Accent

There was a Twitter hashtag which did the rounds recently: #tweetjustyourvoice. The idea was to use record an audio of your voice with a visual that didn’t include your face, and then post it onto Twitter so that your communities of tweeps (Twitter folk) get to hear how you sound. I would have probably continued on my merry way, happily ignorant of all things connected to this hashtag, except that it got embraced with gusto by the FridayPhrases community , with a certain FridayPhrases host (the very persuasive @AdeleSGray ) inviting me to take part. If ever there was a hashtag designed to wallop me well out of my comfort zone, it was this one. Why? Thank you for asking. There are several reasons.

An Extra-Ordinary Spring Saturday

Saturday the 10th of September was one of those magic spring days.  It started like this: It was the kind of day where the sun is beautifully warm and the breeze is playful and joyous.  The kind of day where, when LittleOne and I went out onto the deck in the morning and the breeze ran up to say hello, we each instinctively, impulsively inhaled and exclaimed about how lovely the day was!  The kind of day that LittleOne said felt just like the beach.  The kind of day where the air is watermelon-scented, and you just want to both bottle it and let it soak in your very cells forever.   That kind of spring day. We saw the first hibiscus flower in our garden in a lovely shade of pink-red that was just slightly more deep pink than red. We saw bees merrily visiting the white-and-pink-edged blossoms all over our prolific lemony-lime tree. We saw a kookaburra bird come and perch on the arbor in the garden. It gave a couple of its deep-throated chuckles, but didn't break out into