Skip to main content

A Twitter Tale about Two Moose

Every so often, I enjoy using Twitter's short, 140-character platform to write up very short stories which stretch across 4-6 tweets. The stories are whimsical, whacky, off-beat and sometimes, just frankly silly.

Sometimes a fellow tweep (twitter user) or two will join in and we organically tag-team the stories, lurching them in manically, magically improbable directions. Sometimes, they degenerate into pun wars peppered with wordy brilliance. Either way, they're all in the name of creativity, word play, and bouncing off the inspiration of other people's wordy brilliances.

This is one of my solo efforts and one of my silly ones.
But I like it, so am adding it here to the blog. I've decided to try and capture some of these stories for posterity before I forget they ever existed. (There will be more of these Twitter Tales, so consider yourselves warned).

Two moose were strolling through their forest. One was adjusting his new red scarf, and the other was trying on a monocle. Suddenly, they encountered two hunters. A short, sharp fracas ensued which ended with a smashed monocle, a ripped scarf and two rifles splintered beyond repair. They all called it a draw, agreed they shouldn't cross paths again and that the mooseterious event could never be repeated. (Also, the moose said they knew where the hunters lived). And so an easy moose-truce was maintained in this neck of the woods.

The original story was split over four tweets.

This story was actually born out of one of those late-night, 'fall-down-the-rabbit-hole' thoughts. In this case, for no logical reason, I began wondering why the plural of 'moose' wasn't 'meese' (following the 'goose' and 'geese' rule)*. I wanted to play with this idea; initially, I wanted the fracas between the two moose and the hunters to be initiated by the hunters' refusal to call the moose 'meese', as per the moose's (meese's) own preferences. But, character limits plus sleep requirements meant that I wouldn't be able to do justice to this more... nuanced, linguistic argument. So I went with the 'natural enemies' angle - where moose and hunters just don't like each other. I think I'll save the 'meese' angle for a sequel. I'm already quite fond of these meese, what with their penchant for sartorial elegance and all.

This story thread was also followed by a fun moose-filled word/pun fest. The link to the tweet and the ensuing moose fest is here.

Wherever your neck of the woods, I hope it amooses you half as much as it amoosed me to write it.


*Edited to add: a quick google would have answered the 'moose' vs 'meese' question, but then the world would have missed out on this story of moosketeering magnificence.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Getting the Right Accent

There was a Twitter hashtag which did the rounds recently: #tweetjustyourvoice. The idea was to use record an audio of your voice with a visual that didn’t include your face, and then post it onto Twitter so that your communities of tweeps (Twitter folk) get to hear how you sound. I would have probably continued on my merry way, happily ignorant of all things connected to this hashtag, except that it got embraced with gusto by the FridayPhrases community , with a certain FridayPhrases host (the very persuasive @AdeleSGray ) inviting me to take part. If ever there was a hashtag designed to wallop me well out of my comfort zone, it was this one. Why? Thank you for asking. There are several reasons.

The Sun and the Moon

The following little story came to me while driving home one night on a dark road lit up in silver by a half-moon.  I suddenly had a fanciful little image of a car smilingly gobbling up a crescent-shaped sliver of moon-flake which helped its headlights shine brighter.  Such an image wouldn't normally find a home outside my head, but

I got locked out of Twitter

So. On Sunday morning, I was up at my usual pre-dawn hour. After a Saturday of clouds and rain, when Sunday started with golden pre-dawn light, the birds got very excited and had a glorious symphony of chirruping-chitter-chatter and clear calls to each other. I put down my teacup and slipped into the cold outside to record a soothing 13-odd seconds of it.  Social media might appreciate this lovely clip of peace and zen, I thought, and shared it to Twitter and Instagram.  Well. Within 30 seconds, Twitter got its knickers in a supreme knot about the video, declared I'd violated their rules, and locked me out of my account for 12 hours.  For the record, here's the offending vid: Now, I'm the mildest of the mild social media users, focusing exclusively on things that interest me like writing, creativity, nature and animals. In other words, I don't go near the creepy edges of content that might violate Twitter ToS. Being locked out was absolutely a new experience for me. It&