Saturday, 26 April 2014

No Surprises: Rollicking Adventure and Romance

In The Artist's Way book, a workbook aimed at helping you (re-)discover your creativity, one of the exercises asks you to list your favourite movies.

The logic is that, often, there is a (fairly obvious) theme to the kinds of movies and stories that we like, but that we are sometimes not aware of. 

I'm a skilled procrastinator, so I've been reworking my list in my head for, well, long enough.



Time at last to put pen to paper, err, words on screen.

I'm not a huge movie watcher these days partly because I always feel as though I should be doing something creative rather than just watching the fruits of someone else's creative endeavour. Plus, books are usually my preferred form of fiction. (It's a good thing the movie industry isn't reliant on the likes of me!)

I've based my big list below on everything - how the movie speaks to me, how it stays with me after, re-watch-ability, sheer joy and pleasure of the movie journey, the quotable quotes... Everything. 

In alphabetical order:
  • Amélie
  • Bedazzled
  • The Bourne Identity
  • Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon
  • Décalage Horaire (Jetlag)
  • Galaxy Quest
  • Lady Canton and Mr Rose
  • Last of the Mohicans
  • Molière
  • The Mummy I
  • The Mummy II 
  • Mystery Men
  • Pirates of the Caribbean 
  • Ronin
  • Suddenly 30
  • While You were Sleeping
  • Wimbledon

If I had to select a top 5, it might be:
  1. 1. Amélie
  2. 2. The Mummy I
  3. 3. Molière
  4. 4. Last of the Mohicans
  5. 5. Pirates of the Caribbean

Hmm. That wasn't too difficult to do, actually. And I'm pretty happy with that list - for now. 

So what does it say about me? The very obvious, I suppose... That I like rollicking adventure, humour and romance :-) 







No comments: